29.03.2024, 15:51 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
linookser
22 Titel: Kanotix 2006-01-RC3 misreading swap partition space?  BeitragVerfasst am: 25.09.2006, 14:09 Uhr

Anmeldung: 25. Sep 2006

Installing Kanotix 2006-01-RC3 onto a Dell Latitude cpi a366xt with a 6 GB hard drive, 256MB RAM. The installer gave an error saying that the swap partition didn't meet the minimum size of 128MB, but the partition (/dev/hda3) is 298MB and was already set up as linux swap prior to installing. The only way I could proceed with the installation was to use the "force" option, to ignore RAM and partition size requirements. Then, I got a good install, except that I can't print via Cups to an HP500C, an issue for a separate thread. It seems like Kanotix is misreading the size of the swap partition in this case. I installed on pre-existing linux partitions:

/dev/hda2 / > 3GB
/dev/hda3 swap 298MB
/dev/hda4 /home ca. 950MB

/dev/hda1 is Win2K (NTFS) squeezed into 1GB.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
drb
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 25.09.2006, 14:18 Uhr

Anmeldung: 03. Jul 2004

I have got the same error message in the past (with 2005-04 and 2006-01-RC2). I think it's because you need to mount the swap partition prior to installation (I'm sure I've seen the opposite requirement somewhere else!) - and I think that got rid of the error message.

drb

linookser
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 25.09.2006, 17:00 Uhr

How do "mount" a swap partition? Do you mean enable it with "swapon -a"?

drb
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 25.09.2006, 17:39 Uhr

Anmeldung: 03. Jul 2004

It should already be mounted during boot if it has been formatted as linux swap.

In the Kanotix installer there is a button to run gparted. This will show if the swap is mounted or not. If not, you can mount it from the gparted gui.

drb

linookser
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 25.09.2006, 20:09 Uhr

Actually, that's another thing that I forgot about. gparted would not run from the installer. It just stalled forever at "scanning for partitions", I finally closed the installer and restarted it. I didn't try gparted independently of the installer, but I did run cfdisk. "cfdisk /dev/hda" didn't work, gave a "fatal error", but "cfdisk" by itself showed me the /hda partitions. So I was having some general trouble with partitions in the installer, unexpected, since I was switching from Knoppix 5.01 to Kanotix using the same partitions.

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.