28.03.2024, 22:20 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
loyl1
Titel: Anyone experience installing Kanotix on hardware RAID array?  BeitragVerfasst am: 07.11.2006, 05:43 Uhr

Anmeldung: 21. Dez 2005

Does anyone have any experience installing Kanotix on a hardware RAID array?

I originally had Suse installed on the RAID 0 SCSI arrays sda (2 drives) and sdb (2 drives) . About a year ago I installed Kanotix 2005 03 to IDE drive hdc.

A current "fdisk -l" details my old Kanotix setup on hdc as well as my current attempt to install Kanotix on my Adaptec hardware RAID 0 setup on sda, where I had previously been running Suse.

=====
# fdisk -l
Disk /dev/hdc: 300.0 GB, 300069052416 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 36481 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hdc1 1 13 104391 83 Linux
/dev/hdc2 14 140 1020127+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/hdc3 141 36481 291909082+ 83 Linux

Disk /dev/sda: 146.7 GB, 146795397120 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 17846 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 122 979933+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda2 * 123 17846 142368030 83 Linux
=====

After the low level formatting of each of the 4 SCSI drives, I initialized them and built the new RAID 0 array with all 4 drives. It shows optimal at boot. I booted up to the 2006 RC4 CD and partitioned sda into sda1, a 1GB swap partition and sda2 where Kanotix will be installed.

I also have the IDE drive /dev/hdc3 which was used in the past as a primary Kanotix drive but will now be used only for data storage.

I installed GRUB to the MBR of sda, finished the install and rebooted.

When BIOS finishes and should make the hand off to GRUB, all I got was a blinking cursor.

I used Recovery-Tools and selected Restore standard MBR on /dev/sda.

A reboot returns the original error:
kernel panic not syncing:VFS unable to mount rootfs on unknown-block(0,0).

Since I have only booted Suse but never booted Kanotix from the RAID 0, I am wondering if it is a driver issue with the Adaptec card.

Here is the Adaptec output from lspci -vv:
03:02.0 RAID bus controller: Adaptec AAC-RAID (rev 01)
Subsystem: Adaptec 2120S (Crusader)
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV+ VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-
Status: Cap+ 66MHz+ UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=slow >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
Latency: 32, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 177
Region 0: Memory at e8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
Expansion ROM at dc700000 [disabled] [size=64K]
Capabilities: [80] Power Management version 2
Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)

Does anyone have any experience installing Kanotix on a hardware RAID array?

(original post: http://kanotix.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-22091.html

Any help would be appreciated.

Thomas

Zuletzt bearbeitet von loyl1 am 14.11.2006, 00:05 Uhr, insgesamt ein Mal bearbeitet

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
piper
Titel: RE: Anyone experience installing Kanotix on hardware RAID ar  BeitragVerfasst am: 07.11.2006, 06:51 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
/dev/hdc1 1 13 104391 83 Linux
/dev/hdc3 141 36481 291909082+ 83 Linux

etc ...etc...

add either Linux raid auto or Linux raid autodetect (I have not done this, have read about it)

maybe some ideas

http://www.google.com/linux?q=Create+RA ... unofficial

http://www.pegland.net/mirrorLinuxOSdisk.html

http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/wiki ... tware_RAID

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linu ... -raid.html

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
kenyee
Titel: RE: Anyone experience installing Kanotix on hardware RAID ar  BeitragVerfasst am: 07.11.2006, 16:37 Uhr

Anmeldung: 21. Jan 2006

Can we see your partition map and the partition types you have them set to?
Linux is a little funky in that you actually have to set the partition types the right way (raid autodetect or LVM, etc.) before the right modules will be loaded on boot. ..at least that's what I found when I set up my system w/ software raid (mdadm) and LVM. I also migrated my Kanotix install instead of installing to the properly partitioned setup, but I'm not sure it matters..

loyl1
Titel: Re: RE: Anyone experience installing Kanotix on hardware RAI  BeitragVerfasst am: 08.11.2006, 03:20 Uhr

kenyee hat folgendes geschrieben::
Can we see your partition map and the partition types you have them set to?
Linux is a little funky in that you actually have to set the partition types the right way (raid autodetect or LVM, etc.) before the right modules will be loaded on boot. ..at least that's what I found when I set up my system w/ software raid (mdadm) and LVM.

Sorry if I am a little dense, but I'm not sure what you mean on the partition map other than fdisk -l. Let me know what other commands I would need to run.

The hardware RAID setup is a Pre-BIOS level function. The drives are initialized, then added to an array (I can choose RAID 0, 1, or 5). It then builds the array and presents it to the system BIOS as a single, unformatted drive.

I have done the partitioning/formatting both in cfdisk/mkswap/mkfs.ext3, and in GParted with the same results.

piper hat folgendes geschrieben::

None of the software RAID info applies, but it was interesting that several sections in the article above specifically say "RAID 0 is supported by Fedora Linux"

Is a bootable RAID 0 array supported in Kanotix?

I am really stuck.

loyl1
Titel: Re: RE: Anyone experience installing Kanotix on hardware RAI  BeitragVerfasst am: 15.11.2006, 06:01 Uhr

Does Kanotix support any boot-able hardware RAID configuations?

piper
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Anyone experience installing Kanotix on hardware  BeitragVerfasst am: 15.11.2006, 06:09 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Can you please make posts in one thread instead of multiple threads with the same question, I am dizzy enough

I will delete your other exact question as this one, thanks Smilie

A good place to ask is on #kanotix in irc

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
loyl1
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Anyone experience installing Kanotix on hardware  BeitragVerfasst am: 15.11.2006, 06:42 Uhr

Piper,

I know you had given me a couple of links on Nov 7th, but they didn't help my situation.

I appreciate your frustration with my multiple posts, but please understand that I am trying to run a home automation system, and have been asking questions for three weeks, with no replies for 8 days.

I am not really an IRC person but I could try.

Here is the question again (sorry for the frustration, but but I need an OS REALLY soon and I REALLY want it to be Kanotix:

h2
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Anyone experience installing Kanotix on hardware  BeitragVerfasst am: 15.11.2006, 06:47 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2005

If no one has answered, it's because nobody who has read the forums knows, I'd say that's a fairly safe thing to say.

So there's no point in getting frustrated by no answer, all you are discovering is that nobody on the forums uses that configuration, although maybe someone on irc does.

Of course, best is to learn what modules you may need in the kernel, in other words, learn what this super specific configuration requires to run, then the problem will become easier to resolve.

loyl1
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Anyone experience installing Kanotix on hardware  BeitragVerfasst am: 15.11.2006, 06:58 Uhr

OK,

I am Kanotix ignorant, which is better than stupid because ignorance is curable. I have a good SuSE background, but I a clueless on how to proceed in Kanotix.

I humbly ask for suggestions.

T

loyl1
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Anyone experience installing Kanotix on hardware  BeitragVerfasst am: 15.11.2006, 07:15 Uhr

Please let me explain my motivations for the using RAID O.

It was an experiment. We hear all the time about this guy who has so-many Gig processor, front side buss blah blah blah.

But it seemed to me that the primary problem as always was the spinning up of a physical drive. The processor was always waiting on a piece of data sitting on the drive, and ultimatly, that was what slows all systems down.

For my experiment I used an ultra 360 adaptec SCSI card with 15,000 RPM SCSI drives. RAID 0 striping meant that several spindles would be used simultaniously to send the data up to the CPU/RAM. This worked well with SuSE, but I think it would really rock with Kanotix.

This is the basis for my question of does Kanotix support any boot-able hardware RAID configuations?

slh
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Anyone experience installing Kanotix on hardware  BeitragVerfasst am: 15.11.2006, 14:14 Uhr

Anmeldung: 16. Aug 2004

"Official answer": fake RAID and software RAID are not supported.

Why:
- fake RAID is very controller dependent (and dmraid support for that rather flaky), in combination with windows dual boot it is almost doomed to fail.
- none of the developers has the corresponding hardware and/ or enough spare harddrives to test, this testing can't be done on production systems because testing and normal operations are rather fragile so it's just an option for purely educational/ testing purposes.
- current S-ATA harddisks get up to ~70+ MB/s transfer rate, while there is of course room for improvement, this isn't that much of a bottle neck as it was before.
- RAID 0 striping/ spanning is just insecure, hard disks will fail and break down the whole array - yes, you can improve performance (especially under high load) with it, but it's nevertheless playing russian roulette with your data.
- RAID 1 doesn't improve performance significantly (yes, a small bit), data security is a lot better but you lose 50% of disk space - at least I don't want to "waste" 50% disk space.
- RAID 5 is a great development, but it needs 3 identical disks at least and still "wastes" one of them.
- dmraid is included on the CD and is supposed to work, for the reasons mentioned above no one has tested the installer in combination with it (patches welcome).
- compared with the ugly hacks for fake and/ or software RAIDs, real hardware RAID is reliable and well tested - and transparent for the host OS, so none of these questions would apply and it would work right out of the box.

For my "private" uses, RAID is a matter of perspective - RAID 0 is too insecure (I've seen quite a lot of disks failing over the years, proactively replacing them every 2 years might reduce the risk a bit - but increase the associated costs significantly), RAID 1 just doesn't cut on a private budget, RAID 5 neither although the cost ratio is a lot better. Personally I can risk a single disk failing (current backup on optical media for important static data), most of my failing disks could be convinced to release their data one last time (associated hacks to do so don't work in a RAID setup with fixed time out and the danger to degrade data on the good disk), but if I had used them in a RAID 0 array that data would have been lost without any (end user) chance to retrieve it.

My personal experience shows:
- most data loss happens due to user error (rm -rf * in the wrong directory), no RAID can prevent this, external backups are the only way to counter this.
- I "lost" a few disks to RAM and/ or controller corruptions (KT133A...), nothing a RAID would prevent.
- real harddisk failure, this is inevitable after a few years of service - fortuneately I never lost data because of genuine hardware failure, because so far I could always retrieve it with (a lot of) hacking (none of this would work on a failing disk in a RAID 0 array).
- Nothing replaces backups and no slight performance increase is worth the exponentially rising risk of data loss for RAID 0
- at home I can risk a little downtime, but not spend the money for RAID 1 or 5 - nothing helps to avoid a strict backup procedure anyways.
- in commercial settings, fake RAID and software RAID are not worth a discussion, downtime is more expensive than a good (hot swappable) hardware RAID controller and enough disks for RAID1, RAID 5 or RAID 10.

Summarizing: We haven't and probably will not test/ debug installing on RAID, if you want to work on it - be our guest, patches are welcome (we'd advise against using it within the installer though), alternatively we could probably work on RAID in case someone wants to sponsor the harddisks for the necessary testing/ debugging.

--
Harddisks have 3 states, new, full or broken.

piper
Titel: Re: RE: Re: RE: Anyone experience installing Kanotix on hard  BeitragVerfasst am: 15.11.2006, 15:31 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

loyl1 hat folgendes geschrieben::
Piper,

I know you had given me a couple of links on Nov 7th, but they didn't help my situation.

I appreciate your frustration with my multiple posts, but please understand that I am trying to run a home automation system, and have been asking questions for three weeks, with no replies for 8 days.

I am not really an IRC person but I could try.

Here is the question again (sorry for the frustration, but but I need an OS REALLY soon and I REALLY want it to be Kanotix:

I am not frustrated at all Winken, just trying to keep the forums tidy, and you had exact multiple posts scattered over the forums Smilie

Like h2 said
h2 hat folgendes geschrieben::
If no one has answered, it's because nobody who has read the forums knows, I'd say that's a fairly safe thing to say.

So there's no point in getting frustrated by no answer, all you are discovering is that nobody on the forums uses that configuration, although maybe someone on irc does.

kenyee
Titel: Re: RE: Re: RE: Anyone experience installing Kanotix on hard  BeitragVerfasst am: 15.11.2006, 15:40 Uhr

For my experiment I used an ultra 360 adaptec SCSI card with 15,000 RPM SCSI drives.

Which model# SCSI card is this?
Adaptec makes a few crap "fakeraid" ones, but they name them "HostRAID".

As I mentioned, real hardware RAID cards cost $200-300. The OS (Kanotix, etc.) does not even know they're there. All it sees is one big drive. It's definitely the way to go if you want to do RAID5/6...

p.s., if you're doing home automation, I don't see how you'd even need the bandwidth of RAID0. I'm doing a lot w/ my Kanotix box (Lotus Notes server, MythTV, firewall, source repo) and it does well using RAID1.

h2
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Anyone experience installing Kanotix on  BeitragVerfasst am: 15.11.2006, 20:34 Uhr

slh brings up many excellent points, as usual, but it's nice to get the definitive word on this question, which I'd say his in depth posting is as far as kanotix is concerned. I'd just add that with SATA 2, and very large disk memory caches, up to 16 mB, this hard disk speed issue just is not that much of an issue, especially if you pick up a 10,000 rpm disk, western digital makes one that's quite reasonable.

I've actually been researching this question for a client who has ever expanding storage and backup requirements, and I'm starting to really like what I see in the external, eSATA storage market.

I use some light raid 1 for a client, and all the problems that slh mentions are true, in fact, when we upgrade storage size, I buy 3 identical hard disks in case of disk failure. raid is extremely picky, so assuming that a similarly branded disk will have the same exact internals as the failed disk you bought 2 years ago is not a safe guess, althoug you might get lucky.

Keeping disks cool is of course critical in terms of maximizing their life span.

<added>Here's a sample hardware raid esata enclosure, for about US $320.

loyl1
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 17.11.2006, 09:02 Uhr

Wow everyone, thanks for all of the replies - I really appreciate the help.

This is not fake RAID, not SATA RAID, not software RAID.

It is an Adaptec 2120S Hardware Ultra 360 card with 15,000 rpm SCSI drives. Kanotix should just see it as a single SCSI disk (BIOS does).

Many people have opinions about which RAID is best for a particular application. I use RAID 0, 1, 5, 10 and 15 at work in different combinations on SAN arrays, and have worked with them for over 10 years. I am very comforatable setting up hardware RAID. If Kanotix will work with hardware RAID 1, but not 0, (or whatever) I am OK with that and need you to tell me what you have had success with.

I have gotten some confusing answers to my questions. I am asking about hardware only, not software or fake RAID, so let me see if I understand:

1. Does Kanotix run on fake RAID? (Do you mean SATA RAID?) ANSWER: NO

2. Does Kanotix run on software RAID? ANSWER: NO

3. Does Kanotix run on hardware RAID? ANSWER: WHY NOT? - it is presented to the OS as a single drive, but craps out at the beginning of grub (maybe my RAID 0 - but probably not). h2 - was this question answered in irc??? The answer was not specific.

Kanotix installs and looks normal, but will not boot.

loyl1
Titel: Re: RE: Re: RE: Anyone experience installing Kanotix on hard  BeitragVerfasst am: 17.11.2006, 09:39 Uhr

As I mentioned, real hardware RAID cards cost $200-300. The OS (Kanotix, etc.) does not even know they're there. All it sees is one big drive. It's definitely the way to go if you want to do RAID5/6...[/quote]

kenyee - that is exactly what I am trying to do, and was successful doing with SuSE. Are you booting to a hardware RAID adapter? What model and type? Are you booting with GRUB written to the MBR? Did you have to do anything funky to get it to boot?

p.s., if you're doing home automation, I don't see how you'd even need the bandwidth of RAID0. I'm doing a lot w/ my Kanotix box (Lotus Notes server, MythTV, firewall, source repo) and it does well using RAID1.[/quote]

kenyee - Really you are right about the bandwidth. I do separate /home and / backups daily to an IDE drive. The RAID O experiment was initially for kicks because I had not used it much and wanted to see what it would do.

Actually the performance increase was amazing, and I am guessing it is because of the dramatic I/O wait time reduction for data requests by the CPU. I think the drive IO boost is way more important for speed (opening files, appplications) than CPU cycles.

slh
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 17.11.2006, 10:55 Uhr

Anmeldung: 16. Aug 2004

If it were real hardware RAID, Kanotix would see it as a single drive, actually kanotix.com is running on h/w RAID1 (3ware Inc 7xxx/8xxx-series PATA/SATA-RAID) and Kanotix64-server.

kenyee
Titel: Re: RE: Re: RE: Anyone experience installing Kanotix on hard  BeitragVerfasst am: 17.11.2006, 15:36 Uhr

kenyee - that is exactly what I am trying to do, and was successful doing with SuSE. Are you booting to a hardware RAID adapter? What model and type? Are you booting with GRUB written to the MBR? Did you have to do anything funky to get it to boot?

I'm actually using mdraid (linux software RAID) RAID1 and LVM (LVM is really cool because you can expand/shrink partitions dynamically as you figure out which partitions need space) on dual 400GB drives. Grub is in the MBR and I also have a dusty WinXP partition that grub also knows how to boot. I had to install Kanotix to a non-RAID setup, then migrate it over once I set up RAID (the latest Debian installers will do the LVM/mdraid setup for you, but Kanotix's won't)...there are notes on the forums on how I did this as I asked folks for help. Grub doesn't know how to boot from an LVM partition, so you're stuck w/ booting from a mirrored /ext3 /boot partition.

Back to your problem though, thanks for listing your hardware. It should work fine since you have a real hardware RAID controller, so I'm a bit puzzled as to why it doesn't work, too Auf den Arm nehmen
Kanotix should see it as one big drive and it shouldn't even know about your RAID setup...when it boots, do you see any weird messages on the console about it finding an Adaptec RAID controller? The only thing I can think of is it might be sensing the controller as the wrong type of controller and trying to talk to it instead of just treating it as a drive...

loyl1
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 18.11.2006, 17:26 Uhr

slh hat folgendes geschrieben::
If it were real hardware RAID, Kanotix would see it as a single drive, actually kanotix.com is running on h/w RAID1 (3ware Inc 7xxx/8xxx-series PATA/SATA-RAID) and Kanotix64-server.

OK, Kanotix sees my array as a single drive. It is real hardware SCSI RAID.

I installed GRUB to the MBR, finished the install and rebooted.

When BIOS finishes and should make the hand off to GRUB, all I got was a blinking cursor. I used Recovery-Tools and selected Restore standard MBR on /dev/sda.

A reboot returns the original error:
kernel panic not syncing:VFS unable to mount rootfs on unknown-block(0,0).

I have read through previous posts concerning that error (mostly German) and have tried several suggestions: Burn using SAO or DAO, burn using slow speeds (4x and 8x), use different media (I tried 2 burners at different speeds running different burning software, both on Win32 and Linux). I am still getting the same error.

I also tried the suggestions to use memtest and testcd, both memory tests out ok, and the CD does as well.

kenyee
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 18.11.2006, 23:13 Uhr

Sounds almost like grub is pointed to the wrong partition, although it's supposed to give you a better error.

Did you use Kanotix to install grub as part of the install process?
If you boot the Kanotix CD and poke around the finished installed drive, what do you see for the grub boot menu in /boot on your new drive?

Gowator
Titel: Re: RE: Re: RE: Anyone experience installing Kanotix on hard  BeitragVerfasst am: 19.11.2006, 01:57 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2004
h2 hat folgendes geschrieben::

Of course, best is to learn what modules you may need in the kernel, in other words, learn what this super specific configuration requires to run, then the problem will become easier to resolve.

With respect he's asking about HARDWARE RAID .. not the crappy SATA stuff comes on mobo's... and the answers make no sense whatsoever in this respect and he's said so several times....

The HW RAID should be invisible...

The only point it isn't is probably when writing grub or lilo ....since Im just home from the pub now might not be the best time Sehr glücklich but try the man pages for grub and lilo....
As a last resort disconnect one.. run in no raid and write grub/lilo then rebuild the array???

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen Yahoo Messenger  
h2
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Anyone experience installing Kanotix on  BeitragVerfasst am: 19.11.2006, 02:59 Uhr

I've just been researching some of this hardware stuff, and unfortunately, support for the various cards has to be included in the kernel, or compiled in. For some reason it doesn't surprise me that adaptec is causing problems, even for hardware raid. 3ware is apparently very solid in this area with newer, 2.6.14 and greater kernels.

Gowator
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Anyone experience installing Kanotix on  BeitragVerfasst am: 19.11.2006, 12:39 Uhr

OK, back and a bit more awake.... (h2 don't laugh)
Im still guessing that the HW RAID problem is pretty specific such as when it writes direct to the "disk" ("disk" being the array so virtual)
For actual reads/writes it should just be SCSI3 and the actual aic7xxx driver should even work... all theoretically since it should just see the array as a virtual scsi disk...

The prob as I see it is that when it actually has to write to the MBR or the chain boot process....which goes to a specific offset (if I remember this stuff from DOS)

This basically seems to leave limited options...this is all guesswork but what I would probably try
Run the installer with only one disk and hope the RAID controller just acts like any old adaptec SCSI controller...
(If its got a cache turn it off... its usually CTRL +A on adaptec bios)

and let the whole thing happen(install), extract the RAID drivers as per link and compile them for the kernel..

at this point hope it boots and see what happens ... you might need to alias the scsi driver if it works as a fallback onto the aicxxxx one by default
make sure you have a boot floppy with a copy of the compiled modules on just in case...

now if the RAID card is any good... you should be able to reconfigure it to use RAID and rebuild the array (this is kinds the point of HW SCSI) your driver is installed, you set the adaptec bios to RAID as you like and it should hopefully boot ... fingers crossed

as slh says, its not exactly easy to be sure unless you have one to play with Sehr glücklich the process is probably ffull of things I haven't thought of but shoudn't be insurmountable...

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen Yahoo Messenger  
kenyee
Titel: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Anyone experience installing Kanotix  BeitragVerfasst am: 19.11.2006, 14:21 Uhr

Gowator hat folgendes geschrieben::
now if the RAID card is any good... you should be able to reconfigure it to use RAID and rebuild the array

Does this work for RAID0?
That's (install to one drive w/ the other in a "failed" state, then add the other drive) exactly how I got Kanotix onto mdraid/LVM, but I set it up to use RAID1...

Gowator
Titel: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Anyone experience installing Kanotix  BeitragVerfasst am: 20.11.2006, 13:04 Uhr

Gowator hat folgendes geschrieben::
now if the RAID card is any good... you should be able to reconfigure it to use RAID and rebuild the array

Does this work for RAID0?
That's (install to one drive w/ the other in a "failed" state, then add the other drive) exactly how I got Kanotix onto mdraid/LVM, but I set it up to use RAID1...

That's pretty much down to the bios on the controller ...
I honestly think once you get past the installation it will all work as intended...

however what you could do.... is install the most minimal Debian possible...
basically ANYTHING that boots.... with your module for the RAID card..

Most of the kanotix install is simply a copy.... and at the end it just does the grub stuff...

You can go through all this which is basically just making the directory structure, usernames etc. etc. but skip the grub part...

the way kano/slh do the kernels is super cool because all the patches etc. are preserved ... so you can edit the script, add your own driver and continue and make your own kernel exactly like the optimised kanotix ones but with support for your driver...

Meanwhile you have the stock Deb kernel with your HW support as a fallback...

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.