19.06.2024, 21:36 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
jbs1136
Titel: Menu Items  BeitragVerfasst am: 17.08.2006, 23:19 Uhr

Anmeldung: 15. Jul 2006
Okay, question from a lost newbie. I used kpackage and installed a program(package). It does not show in the menu. I have rebooted and still no luck. The package is gpart. How do I find and get into the menu?

I did a search for "menu" but it didn't help.

I installed klamav and it showed up in the menu.

Other part of this question is how to sort out the menu. I find that some stuff goes into Debian and others are scattered through the file. A lot of things are listed several times under different sections. I tried with menu editor and got totally confused. Some things moved, others didn't, some would move but couldn't get rid of the copies of it.

Any help appreciated.

John

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
ockham23
Titel: RE: Menu Items  BeitragVerfasst am: 17.08.2006, 23:36 Uhr

Anmeldung: 25. Mar 2005

As to your first question: gpart is already installed on your computer. It runs in text mode, and you can launch it from Konsole.
Code:

man gpart
gpart -h

will display more information.

If you want to repair a disk, open a new thread and ask for guidance. I am sure there are some members who might be able to help you.

piper
Titel: RE: Menu Items  BeitragVerfasst am: 18.08.2006, 01:04 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
Hi John, the man pages and gparted documentation might help a little

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/documentation.php

If you know the location of a the executable binary file then just add it to the menu yourself. Sometimes programs dont give you a start menu entry and you need to know where they are to make a menu item or icon.

You can use a terminal or the run dialog to start programs, i find that quicker then having to navigate menu and click on the program i want.

The Debian Folder is a list of all the apps installed on your computer that you installed using synaptic, apt-get, kpackage or individual .deb packages. Additional applications you install using these methods will be placed there.

If some icons or apps aren't showing up you can try using "menu-updating tool" found at kmenu > settings

or in a terminal

update-menus

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
jbs1136
Titel: RE: Menu Items  BeitragVerfasst am: 18.08.2006, 08:06 Uhr

ockham23,

Thanks for your help. I know it is installed, I just don't know how to start it. I thought it ran in gui instead of text mode and was looking for a menu button. Don't need to repair a disk, but wanted to experiment with this and see if I could do a non-destructive repartitioning of my second hdd. Thanks again.

piper, yeh, me again.

"If you know the location of a the executable binary file then just add it to the menu yourself. Sometimes programs dont give you a start menu entry and you need to know where they are to make a menu item or icon."

That's the problem, I don't know where it is. I used gpart as an example. I know it is installed but didn't know how to start it or what to add to the menu to run it. I tried using the run dialog but just entering gpart doesn't work. Search seems to take for ever. Is there a quick way to find where it is?

I bookmarked your link and will read it tomorrow. Will try update-menus tonight.

Thanks to you both for your help.

John

h2
Titel: RE: Menu Items  BeitragVerfasst am: 18.08.2006, 19:07 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2005

To find a program, type in terminal: which <program name>

in this case: which gpart
this gives the output: /sbin/gpart
which is the path you'd use to add something to menu

jbs1136
Titel: RE: Menu Items  BeitragVerfasst am: 18.08.2006, 23:39 Uhr

h2,

Thanks for that command. My list grows. And I went to windows to get away from dos but I find that I am using konsole more and more. It is all piper's fault. Smilie

piper,

I read the doc's in the link. Very helpful. Learned that I had to "./gpart" and it appeared in the menu. Thanks. I have now split up my sata drive so I can use part for backups. Then when I get them all done daily, I can transfer them weekly to another drive over the network.

There is progress!!

Thanks to all for your help. New commands learned and problem solved.

John

piper
Titel: RE: Menu Items  BeitragVerfasst am: 19.08.2006, 01:26 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

hehe terminal is cool Smilie

Glad you got gpart to work, now don't forget in konsole you can use the "tab" button to scroll thru previous commands that you have entered.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
jbs1136
Titel: RE: Menu Items  BeitragVerfasst am: 19.08.2006, 05:28 Uhr

Thanks piper. You know I am using my windows puter for quicken and home photos only now. Haven't switched my photos over yet because in a couple of weeks I intend to wipe everything and start over. Right now I downloading a bunch of gui's that I found to try out. KDE is nice but adds too much junk and I just don't like gnome. I bookmarked about 6 or 8 of them and will try one at a time. A little more playing around and then I will wipe and put back what I want. Wish I had done this awhile back. Thanks again for that nudge Smilie

John

piper
Titel: RE: Menu Items  BeitragVerfasst am: 19.08.2006, 05:44 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

hehe, no problem, open source is the future Winken

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.